What is this company becoming?
One question I have started asking myself much more often when looking at a business is:
What is this company becoming?
It sounds simple. But I think it changes the way you evaluate a company.
For a long time, I looked at businesses through the usual lens — revenue growth, margins, cash flows, balance sheet, competitive advantage, valuation.
And of course, all of these matter.
But they tell you a lot about what the company is today.
Businesses, however, don't stay where they are.
A company may be quietly changing its product mix.
Moving from commodity to specialised products.
Building a brand where there was previously just distribution.
Moving from services to technology.
Fixing its unit economics.
Entering a new geography.
Or simply becoming a much better-run organisation.
Sometimes these changes are obvious.
Often they aren't.
And this is where I think the real work in investing starts.
I want to understand what is changing underneath the numbers.
Is the business model changing?
Are the customers becoming better?
Are margins improving because of temporary factors, or because the economics of the business are actually changing?
Is management building an organisation that can operate at 5x the current scale?
Is capital being allocated differently?
And ultimately:
If all of this works, what does this company look like three to five years from now?
There is another part to this question that is equally important:
How much of that future am I already paying for today?
Because a great company can still be a bad investment if everyone already sees the same future.
And a company that looks fairly ordinary today can become a very interesting investment if the transformation is real and the market hasn't fully recognised it.
I think this is one of the biggest shifts in my own thinking as I have moved from consulting and operating businesses to investing in them.
Don't just analyse the company that exists today.
Try to understand the company that is being built.
Because sometimes the best investment opportunities aren't great companies today.
They are companies becoming great.
Comments
Post a Comment